Friday, July 6, 2012

21. The Other End of the Road


Wednesday, July 4
Early Morning
Florence Peretola Airport

Last night didn't white work out as planned and I'm glad for it. Bruce called around 7:30 to say that they had to have a mandatory dinner with the students and so had to call off getting together. While it would have been nice to do that, I really do prefer to have final nights in Florence to myself.

After a call to Bridget, I headed out for another night of enjoying the Florentine night. The monuments were all lit up and the streets were filled. Just off the Piazza Della Repubblica I ran into a large crowd. They were watching the same street performer I had seen on this block seven years ago. I walked toward the Duomo then down through Piazza di Signoria, through the Uffizi, over the Ponte Vecchio then back to my room. Given the sadness I always feel at leaving, I was doubly glad not to spend the evening with others.

I'm now sitting in the airport awaiting my flight to Zurich then Chicago. Assuming all goes according to Hoyle, I'll be back in Chicago and, more to the point, with Bridget in about 12 hours.

Here's hoping that time passes quickly.


Late Afternoon

I'm home. Bridget was waiting at the airport. There's no better way to come home.


Thanks to all of you who took this journey with me via the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment